Five powers are defined in PMBOK as
- Legitimate or Formal - power comes about as a result of the leader’s position. This position is as a result of the buy-in from executives and enabling the leader to call the shots.
- Reward - is the ability to grant bonuses or incentive awards for a job well done. This ability depends on the position of the leader.
- Coercive or Penalty - is the ability reverse of the previous one and also depends on the position of the leader.
- Expert - is the *best* form of power in which leader leads the team with his knowledge whether technical or functional and
- Referent - power comes when the team members identify themselves more with the leader and have respect.
Motivation is the single most important ability emerging for a leader in the ever changing world of change. Leadership is all about change management by leading the team from the realities of today to the dream of tomorrow. Motivating is not the ability to influence others to do what you want them to do but what others ought to do. There is a thin line..isn't so?