Friday, March 25, 2011

Get to the point - Work & Personal Life Balance

Get to the point was my third speech at PSU toastmasters club. This was after my first Ice-breaker and second Organizing your speech speeches. Theme of my speech was 'Work & Personal Life Balance'

I started by explaining that in today's mechanical world, it is becoming more and more difficult to have a robust balance between work and personal life. Having priorities in life is important but more important is to manage them. I learned this even before I started my career. I have always been a firm believer in learning from other people's experiences in life. We need not step on a banana skin to understand the pain of slipping and falling.



This incident happened with me while I was doing my masters in Hyderabad, India. During that time, my parents were getting their house constructed and I used to visit the site to oversee the progress every now and then. During one such visit, I happened to meet this gentleman, who was working as an accountant for the construction company responsible for building the house. While there, we struck a conversation and started talking about different topics. That is when I came to know that earlier he was working for a reputed multinational company, with a fat package and in a good position. I expressed my surprise and curiosity to know how he ended up here and taking up a role, less glamorous and evidently paying less. That's when he shared his story, which struck with me since then. He was working in Mumbai, west of India for this large multinational company












He used to work for long hours, seven days a week. His day used to start at 4 AM, catching local train at 5 in the morning, spending time till 10 in the night at work and coming home at 11 PM. This was his routine for day in and day out, seven days a week.He had a wife, who was a home maker and a 3 year old son. His hectic work schedules were hardly giving him any time to spend with his wife or son. When he used to start for work in the morning, his son used to be still in bed and when he returned in the evening at 11 PM, son would have gone to bed. This was continuing for some time. One Sunday, he decided to stay home to spend time with his wife and son. He was excited and got up early, waiting in anticipation for his son to get up. He sat in living room, reading Sunday newspaper while waiting. After sometime he saw his son get up and come to where he was sitting. His son looked at him, gave a puzzled look and went into the kitchen where his wife was preparing breakfast. The man got up and followed his son into the kitchen. What happened after that completely changed his outlook towards life. He entered the kitchen and overheard his son asking his wife, 'Mum, who is this uncle?'. Next day he quit his high profile job and moved to Hyderabad, taking less demanding one with more 9 AM - 5 PM schedule.
That day I learned a very valuable lesson, which struck with me till date. Its very important to set priorities in life. Keeping work - personal life balance is crucial, especially in this mechanical time.

4 comments:

  1. My name is Michael and I live on the East Coast. I was reviewing your notes and other information regarding your experience with the PgMP certification. I have recently been approved to take this test for certification and I was wondering if I could trouble you for some perspective via phone or e-mail? My work e-mail is mperlstein@aboutweb.com.
    Please let me know and thanks in advance.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    I can help. If you use linkedin, send me request to sri_ped@yahoo.com to connect and we can communicate.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/sridharpeddisetty is my linkedin link

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I think we run a mad race and don't seem to understand the purpose of it. Work- Family life balance is very important. Your PMP material is quite useful, thanks for putting it here.

    Lakshmi
    www.tasteofmysore.com
    http://testtasteofmysore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do agree with your point that in today's busy environment, maintaining the balance between work and life is really difficult. Your post helps me a lot to understand the basic things. Just give the Meaning of Work Life Balance and enjoying the life.



    ReplyDelete